Saturday, October 01, 2011

No Other Woman

I watched the movie "No Other Woman" with T earlier. I actually wanted to see it alone but I decided to invite her at the last minute. Big mistake, as I ended up in tears after the movie was finished. I'm not used to crying in public. I'm not used to crying at all. In the ten or so years that I've known T, I don't think I've ever cried in front of her before. Especially not because of some stupid movie. It wasn't even a particularly sad movie. I guess it's just that it sort of speaks to me. I relate to the titular "Other Woman".

Just by the title, I guess you can pretty much already tell what it's about. I was rooting for "the other woman" (who from now on shall be referred to as TOW in this post) all through the movie but that's just me being biased, given my current situation. I think she was portrayed in a positive light. A girl just like any other, who has a job, has friends, has feelings and who unfortunately and unintentionally fell in love with a man she can't have, and not some skank as most movies would have every one believe. I also liked that we get to see what it's like being on either side. Most of the time, movies show what it's like for the girl being cheated on, never what's it like for the girl he is cheating with. I like how we get to see that TOW is an actual human being.

There were particular scenes in the movie that made me really uncomfortable and almost brought me to tears. The same scenes brought about laughter from all the rest of the people at the theater. I guess it's because we view the same scenes from a different perspective. In one particular scene, the wife invites TOW to dinner, along with the husband. She makes catty remarks all night and I imagine myself being in the same position. I don't think I can take it. I felt bad for TOW when the wife tried to taunt and embarrass her and the guy doesn't even stand up for her and also had the audacity to get mad at her for admitting to the affair. I felt bad for TOW because I know that at the end of the day, things can not possibly end well for her. I felt bad for TOW because I know that whatever happens, she will lose and he will eventually go back to his wife. I felt bad for her because in a way, I am her.

T mentioned that the guy in the movie sort of reminded her of Lover Boy. Of course it did. We watched the movie in silence. She probably figured that I wanted to really take it in. The movie ended exactly how these movies are suppose to end. The guy chooses his wife, TOW decides to stay away, makes a heartfelt apology to the wife, and get this, asks that if she can't find it in her heart to forgive her, she should forgive him. I guess it just goes to show how much she actually really loved him. I was in tears at that point.

We went for yogurt after the movie. We didn't really talk much because I was a little bit awkward about crying in the theater. I just felt so bad. Lover Boy hasn't texted or called. It's been almost a month. I kind of miss him, I think. And because I am stupid, I tried adding him again in Facebook. He still hasn't accepted the friend request yet even though I know for a fact that he's been online since I sent it. His girlfriend on the other hand, accepted my friend request right away. Why did I add her? I'm not really sure. I've been checking her page every so often. I look at pictures of them together. I read their conversations. Sometimes I think I'm actually jealous. She seems like a really great girl. Someone I could actually like and be friends with. She seems really sweet and she is far more good looking than I am. Why would he cheat on her? I've often wondered that. Why does he cheat on his girlfriends? Do all guys do that? I've always wanted to ask him that but I never got the chance seeing as we really don't do much talking when we're together.

Sometimes I wonder if she knew about me, if any of them knew about me. Did I want her to know? What would happen if she did? I try to play out the possible scenarios in my head. She could publicly humiliate me. She could call me names. She could pretty much do anything she wants and she'd be entitled to them. None of those scenarios would end well for me. Just as well, because whatever Lover Boy and I had is over. At least I think it is. It's probably for the best. No, it definitely is for the best. Better now while I've still got some dignity left.

No comments:

Post a Comment